Award Finalists Videos
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can nominate for the Bob Hawke Landcare Award?
The Bob Hawke Landcare Award is open to an individual who have demonstrated leadership and a commitment to Landcare, natural resource management and sustainable agriculture.
To be eligible for the award, you must:
- be an individual
- not be a group or organisation
- be an Australian citizen
- be actively involved in Landcare, natural resource management and sustainable agriculture
- have demonstrated leadership and a commitment to natural resource management and sustainable agriculture.
What types of nominee activities will be considered for the award?
The Bob Hawke Landcare Award is open to individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to natural resource management and sustainable agriculture through being a Landcare champion, a remarkable leader and a sustainable farm practice innovator.
The winning finalist will be a:
- Actively involved in Landcare
- Shows a remarkable commitment to caring for the land
- Has an outstanding commitment to local communities and drives community activity
- Inspires, educates and encourages others to take action on their own properties or through a Landcare group
- Champions the uptake of more sustainable agricultural practices and can demonstrate the adoption of improved practices among landholders as a consequence of this action
Sustainable Farm Practice Innovator
- Actively pursues, introduces and shapes innovative farming systems to improve productivity, profitability, sustainability, and the quality of our natural resources.
What is the prize?
The Bob Hawke Landcare Award recipient will be awarded a prize package to the value of $50,000 for further development of their knowledge and skills in sustainable land management to enable an even stronger contribution to Landcare. The award recipient will be required to submit a project proposal outlining out how they plan to spend the $50,000.
How do I nominate for the Bob Hawke Landcare Award?
Nominations are open and you can apply using the nomination button on this website. Please note we will not be accepting postal entries.
When do nominations close?
Nominations close 11.59pm AEST Monday 31 August, 2020
How will award nominations be assessed?
All award nominations will be assessed and shortlisted by an independent advisory panel.
The Advisory Committee for the Bob Hawke Landcare Award comprises of individuals who have experience in sustainable farming practices, natural resource management, community and indigenous perspectives.
When will I hear about my nomination?
People who submit a nomination will be contacted in October and be advised if they are shortlisted. The finalists will be invited to the National Landcare Awards gala dinner in Sydney on Thursday 5 August, 2021.
Where and when will the award be presented?
The award will be presented at the National Landcare Awards gala dinner on Thursday 5 August, 2021 in Sydney.
Why is the award named after former Prime Minister Bob Hawke?
The Bob Hawke Landcare Award acknowledges the role that former Prime Minister, the Hon. Bob Hawke AC, played in elevating Landcare from a grass-roots community initiative to a national movement with bi-partisan government support that endures today. For more information about the origins of Landcare please read this article on the Landcare Australia website.
What about the McKell Medal?
The Bob Hawke Landcare Award supersedes the McKell Medal in line with the Australian Government’s renewed commitment and focus on Landcare and sustainable agriculture under the Caring for our Country initiative.
The establishment of the Bob Hawke Landcare Award will see a stronger focus on individual leadership and contribution to Landcare and sustainable agriculture practices in Australia.
Past McKell Medal recipients will continue to be acknowledged for their enduring legacy and contribution to sustainable agriculture.
How is the award funded?
The award is funded by the Australian Government. Landcare Australia Limited has been engaged to administer the Bob Hawke Landcare Award on behalf of the Australian Government.